What is a Midwife?
Midwifery is the term traditionally used to describe the art of assisting a woman through childbirth. In the modern context, this term is used to describe the activities of those health care providers who are experts in women's health care including giving prenatal care to expecting mothers. They attend the birth of the infant and provide postpartum care to the mother and her infant. Practitioners of midwifery are known as midwives, a term used in reference to both women and men (the term means "with woman").
Friday, April 5, 2013
Monday, September 24, 2012
Garlic protocol for GBS prevention:
Chop a clove of fresh garlic and mix with a teaspoon of honey. Swallow this without chewing it. This can be done several times a day, preferably with a meal.
- Acidophilus – 4 billion cells per dose
- Echinacea – 350 mg capsules – 2 capsules
- Garlic – 580 mg capsules – 2 capsules (you may also
- Vitamin C – 1000 mg with 200 mg bioflavonoids
- Grapefruit Seed Extract – 15 drops
- Zinc 50mg a day
- Also douche with wheatgrass 2x per week
- Insert plain yogurt vaginally 2x week
- Colloidal Silver, 1 dropper a day, low dose
- Chen, H.C., Chang, M.D., Chang, T.J. (1985) Antibacterial Properties of Some Spice Plants Before and After Heat Treatment. [English translation of Chinese article]. Zhonghua Min Guo Wei Sheng Wu Ji Mian Yi Xue Za Zhi 18: 190–5.
- Klein, J.O. (1999) Management of Acute Otitis Media in an Era of Increasing Antibiotic Resistance. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 49: S15–17.
- Honig, E., Mouton J.W., van der Meijden, W.I. (1999) Can Group B Streptococci Cause Symptomatic Vaginitis? Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 7: 206–09.
- Christensen, K.K, Dykes, A.K., Christensen, P. (1985) Reduced Colonization of Newborns with Group B Streptococci Following Washing of the Birth Canal with Chlorhexidine. J Perinat Med 13: 239–43.
- Irving, W.L. Best Practice in Labour Ward Management. Edited by L.H. Kean, P.N. Baker and D. Edelstone. London: WB Saunders, 2000.
- Albandar, J.M., Gjermo, P., Preus, H.R. (1994) Chlorhexidine Use after Two Decades of Over-the-counter Availability. J Periodontol 65: 109–12.
Thursday, April 21, 2011
Art of Nursing has a Mission to educate and empower women and care providers about preventing complications of pregnancy and premature birth and promoting a healthy lifestyle.
We intend to do this by:
Increasing awareness of risk factors for developing complications of pregnancy while promoting self-care practices that will promote wellness and prevent complications
Developing an early detection and support program to educate and promote maternal and fetal wellness and protect our new generation from diseases affecting pregnancy
Preventing and reducing serious complications of diseases in pregnancy by promoting collaboration with all healthcare practitioners including physicians, midwives and holistic practitioners as well as physical therapy and all alternative modalities
Reducing mortality of infants and mothers who are affected by many diseases by educating them about early signs and risk-taking behaviors that may affect their pregnancy outcomes
Improving the health and quality of life of pregnant women of all ages and economic circumstances
Ultimately improving the wellbeing of all mothers and babies in our care